Saturday, January 17, 2009

Country Music

When I was a teenager, I was kind of weird.  I thought that country music was the most country-hick backwards thing on the planet, and I hated it.
I am not a huge fan of slow music.  I don't need to be put to sleep.  I don't hate it, I just would rather listen to something that keeps me awake, and gets me moving.  So I used to listen to the normal radio channels.  It got to the point where I had to change channels at almost every-other song, because they were so inappropriate, especially with children in the car listening.  Then one day I happened to accidently turn to or listen to the country music channel.  They  had a song that was really great.  So I started listening every so often.  Then I started listening more and more.  Now if I am not listening to talk radio while I drive, I always turn to the country music station first.  I also listen to a rock station that is for the office, so it also has a beat, but most of the songs are clean enough (still the country station is better).  
I have been amazed by some of the country songs.  So many are about patiotism, soldiers who defend their country, what a real man is (someone who provides for family and protects them).  There are also many fun and funny ones.  One of my favorites is about a man who loses his job, so his wife gets a job temporarily while he looks for a new one.  He thinks it will be so easy to stay home and take care of the kids.  Then he realizes how hard it is, and can't wait to get to work where it will be easier than being a stay at home dad.  Of course there are the ones that are not good for kids to listen to, but they are few and far between.  Many songs talk about God as well.  I was amazed, because I just wasn't used to hearing these kinds of songs on a mainstream  radio station.  
I also have been impressed with some of the country stars.  I don't really know the singers or anything about them.  I don't know the names of the songs, etc.  I just turn on the radio.  Well a year ago I was watching The Apprentice.  It is a Donald Trump show where famous people are organizing things and being businessmen and women to earn money for charity.  Trace Atkins was one of the stars.  He has a child with a life-threating food alergy.  So he was there for that charity.  Anyway, I thought he would not do a good job.  He is quiet, has a southern accent, and dresses like a cowboy. Boy was I wrong.  He was probably the smartest one there.  He was brilliant with the ideas he had.  He didn't talk much, but when he did, he was good.  He was also honest, kind, and tough.  He didn't let people walk all over him, and he worked hard.  He made it to the finals, and in the end, Donald picked the other guy, but boy was it close.  I think everyone liked him better.  I became a Trace Atkins fan.  He is a good man who deserves a lot of respect.  I always like to see that.  
So the point is, if you haven't tried country, try it.  Don't let your preconceived notions or prejudices keep you from something great.  If you happen to hear a song that sounds corny, it is OK, corny won't kill you.  Just turn it off, and listen to it later.  You are bound to hear a great song.   Also, your kids won't be listening to garbage either. 

Lisa  

5 comments:

Zola said...

Having known you VERY well when you were a teenager, I must say I never thought I would see the day when you would admit that there was anything redeeming about country. The next thing you know, you will be wanting to paint your bedroom pink! But I have to admit I am starting to come around myself.

Natalee said...

I still haven't made it there but all of my dear friends here in Texas (of course) are huge huge huge country music fans and sing it's praises all the time.

EMac said...

Pink is not so bad. Just kidding!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Who are you and what have you done to Lisa?

It must still be you, because you are still a Trekkie.

I guess I have a closed mind. But I did stop listening to mainstream music a while ago. When i listen to the radio, it is either Talk Radio (though I can't handle much of that anymore - it stresses me out) or 80s music, or classical. SAturday was happy to find some Bocceli, Pavaroti, and Brightman CDs for a buck each- so I have been doing the Opera thing. I'm sure country is pretty similar.

Maybe I'll try turning that dial. Just maybe.

Natalee said...

I am proud to say that years of living in Texas has not changed my lack of preference for country music... not even close. I forgive you for your errors. Sometimes people just need to be off the path for a while before they're ready to come back to the light... I'm just messing with you, except for the fact that I still don't like country music. :)

Gary